In the time that I had been away from the minis hobby there was apparently an explosion in not only the quality of miniatures being produced by companies that were not Games Workshop, but in the ability of hobbyist painters and modelers. I got sucked right back in.
I demoed Wargods of Aegyptus and Hordes that year. I don't remember why but I picked Wargods, it might have been the incredible minis I watched Marike Reimer paint at their booth, to be honest I can't recall. I do remember getting a bit of high pressure sales after my Hordes demo that reminded me too much of GW. However for some reason or another the concepts of Hordes and Warmachine took hold and I ended up buying a bunch of the books, two battle boxes, and two squads. I started painting them but for some reason or another ended up putting them down for 6 months or so, until a few months before this years Gencon. Somehow this time around the painting and gaming took hold.
I've only played a handful of games so far and only one that wasn't against my wife or my friend, who is also a long time minis gamer. A local game store called "Games and Comics and Stuff" has weekly Warmachine and Hordes open play (there was a battle report from there in No Quarter #8 I believe). Everyone I've met there so far seems cool and they have monthly tournaments so hopefully I'll get to play a lot more people regularly.
I'm not a good painter.. hence the blog title, but I'm hoping tracking my progress and what I've painted helps me improve. The idea for a blog came from vxghost on the PP forums. I intend to track what I've painted, assembled, and games I've played. I'm not restricting this to Privateer Press games and I'll probably be talking to myself, but that's cool, it'll help me keep organized.
I also make terrain for fun so I'll probably have terrain entries from time to time as well.
I figure I'll start things off with a few shots of my office. I paint in my upstairs office, I have a horribly disorganized terrain workshop spread across the basement and garage, and we currently game in the dining room.
So this is my painting desk. I was painting in the basement but it gets damn cold down there and I wanted a nice comfortable place where I could spend long periods of time without back pain.
Facing my painting desk is my computer desk. I'm usually streaming XM while I'm painting (channel 44, FRED) and switching back and forth between the computer and the painting desk. I'm a Software Engineer and I write code for fun as well so I can switch tasks depending on which is more frustrating at the moment. Of course it's also nice to be able to turn around and look up some painting stuff easily as well.Here are a few shots of our game board and terrain:



No comments:
Post a Comment